List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: konq_frame header
From:       Simon Hausmann <hausmann () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-10 8:00:03

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 06:12:41PM -0400, Mark Deneen wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 May 2001 7:44, David Faure wrote:
> > On Wednesday 09 May 2001 22:09, Mark Deneen wrote:
> > > I've added a header to all konq frames which are toggleable.  It is a
> > > simple class which just has a label and a button.  The label is the title
> > > of the header, and the button will toggle the part.  (closing it)
> > >
> > > I have a screenshot up at http://tick.dhs.org/~deneen/kpart-header.png.
> >
> > Very cool !

Seconded. Very nice feature!

> > Just wondering.... how does that look with the embedded konsole
> > though ? Did you check it ? Your code will be activated AFAICS (since it's
> > a toggle view too), and the header will take quite some space since the
> > konsole is 'horizontal', no ?
>
> My konsole part must be broken.  :-)  It must never have called setCaption
> while I was in it.  How do I trigger this?
>
> > About the whole "passing the action around"... why not
>
> Why not what?  ;-)
>
> > > It only makes itself visible if the widget in the part calls
> > > setCaption().  I had to do a little fudging with a QTimer::singleShot to
> > > make it work. (thanks wildfox)
> >
> > Well, the konqframe could query for the title, to be taken from the
> > desktop file of the part, maybe ?
>
> Ok, I read this sentence a few times, and finally understand it.. :-)
>
> So you mean (for example) i would read the value of "Name" from the .desktop
> file and put it there?  That would work as well.  I like this approach
> better.  (That way the strings are already translated)
>
> How would a part specify if it wanted this frame or not?  Or should it be on
> for all toggleable parts?   (You mentioned konsole possibly looking ugly)
>
> Would "X-KDE-BrowserView-ShowHeader=true" in the .desktop file be allowed ?

David is a genius :-) Yes, I think the .desktop file approach is much better,
as it removes the overhead of the eventfilter. And I don't think it is
important to support changing the title at run-time.

I think all it takes is to add a definition of X-KDE-BrowserView-Caption to
kdelibs/kparts/browserview.desktop and set the title from this property, if
it is present (so you combine the extra ShowHeader boolean property right into
one single property and use the feature depending on the existance)

Bye,
 Simon