List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    SOCKS and Konqueror "micro-HOWTO"
From:       David Sweet <dsweet () andamooka ! org>
Date:       2001-04-17 17:17:02

I've seen a lot questions about using Konqueror via a SOCKS proxy (a common
proxy system that keeps users somewhat safe behind a firewall).

Here's how I did it on a Mandrake 7.2 system.
	1) Install runsocks  (I used
ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/falsehope/home/gomez/socks5/runsocks-1.0r11-3.i386.rpm
but you might need a different version for your system) and follow the
instructions to configure it.  For example, my /etc/libsocks5.conf file reads:
	sock5 - - - - 172.37.0.34
where the IP is the LAN-wide IP of our firewall.
	2) As root,
		cp $KDEDIR/bin/kdeinit $KDEDIR/bin/kdeinit.orig
	   where, on Mandrake 7.2, KDEDIR=/usr
	3) As root,
		echo 'runsocks kdeinit.orig $*' > $KDEDIR/bin/kdeinit

How it works:
	runsocks intercepts network-related (libc?) function calls using LD_PRELOAD
and turns them into SOCKS operations.  The program being executed with
runsocks is none the wiser.  You usually use runsocks like this:
	'runsocks ftp ftp.kde.org'
 or similarly.
	You, therefore, might be tempted to run konqueror like this:
	'runsocks konqueror http://www.kde.org'
but it wouldn't work.  All of the network IO is handled by kioslaves which do
not run in the konqueror process but instead are started by kdeinit as
dynamically loaded libraries. So what we really want to do is to turn every
exec of 'kdeinit' into 'runsocks kdeinit', thus, we have the above hack.

Enjoy.  Let me know if you have any problems.

Dave
--
Read, annotate, and discuss  _KDE_2.0_Development_
at Andamooka:  http://kde20development.andamooka.org