List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: aRts and RealPlayer
From:       Daniel Molkentin <molkentin () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-03-08 20:15:32

Hello Peter!

On Thursday 08 March 2001 22:03, you wrote:
> Hi there Daniel:
>
> you wrote:
> |If you don't want / can't integrate aRts support in RealPlayer yet,
> |please use at least a "artsdsp RealPlayBinary" in the desktop file. This
> |tiny program will reroute the output to aRts instead of /dev/dsp.
> |
> |Otherwise, it the player will be blocked as long as aRts didn't do
> |autosuspend (usually 60 sec. after the last output).
>
> Will this work for all users?  Can users select to not use aRts?

Yes, users can choose wether they want to use aRts in kcontrol.
"artsdsp" checks wether artsd is running and will only reroute the
datastream if artsd is running (meaning prefixing works anywhere).

> Thanks for the information though... I guess if I install it in the
> .desktop file it won't affect KDE 1.x users, right?  Do you happen to know
> if the .desktop file is the same format as the gnome one?  Will they be
> unified at some point?

I am really almost clueless about .kdestop files. You might want to ask
someone else. For the KDE 1.x users: if you really prefix with artsdsp,
you will encounter problem with KDE < 2.0 and non-KDE users as artsdsp
is part of KDE >= 2.0. You might want to use aRts' interace instead or check
for KDE 2.0 and install a different .desktop file.

Using the arts API would surely be a good thing (tm) but I don't know it is
possible for you to use it in RealPlayer.

Any futher questions should concerning aRts should go to Stefan Westerfeld
<stefan@space.twc.de>, the author of aRts. There is also a Multimedia
http://multimedia.kde.org for deails.

HTH,

</daniel>