List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    aRts and RealPlayer
From:       Peter Godman <pgodman () real ! com>
Date:       2001-03-08 20:05:39

Hi there Daniel:

you wrote:

|If you don't want / can't integrate aRts support in RealPlayer yet,
|please use at least a "artsdsp RealPlayBinary" in the desktop file. This
|tiny program will reroute the output to aRts instead of /dev/dsp.

|Otherwise, it the player will be blocked as long as aRts didn't do
|autosuspend (usually 60 sec. after the last output).

Will this work for all users?  Can users select to not use aRts?  We will
have to test this configuration because small changes in the way that the
ioctls are implemented can affect a/v synchronization, etc.

Thanks for the information though... I guess if I install it in the
.desktop file it won't affect KDE 1.x users, right?  Do you happen to know
if the .desktop file is the same format as the gnome one?  Will they be
unified at some point?