List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: RealPlayer 8
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-03-02 23:12:49

On Friday 02 March 2001 09:48, Peter Godman wrote:
> Hello KFM developers.
>
> Please let me introduce myself:  I'm one of the software developers that
> works on RealPlayer for Unix.  I was browsing your archives and saw some
> discussion about RP and wanted to let you know who I am so that if you
> have RealPlayer/unix questions or issues, you have a contact at RN.

Hi Peter,

That's good to know.

> However, I have an ulterior motive too:  I'm trying to write the next
> generation of browser integration for RP (moving beyond our traditional
> "mimeinstall.sh" integration) and wanted to ask a couple of questions!

You're on the right address. I leave question 2) and 8) for someone else :-)

> 1.  RealPlayer often sends an url to a browser, if the user clicks on a
>     link.  We would like to make Konqueror an option for the user to send
>     links to.  Is there a way to remotely command Konqueror to do this,
>     similar to the "netscape -remote openURL($URL)" syntax we
>     use for netscape?

kfmclient openURL 'url' ['mimetype']
            # Opens a window showing 'url'.
            #  'url' may be a relative path
            #   or file name, such as . or subdir/
            #   If 'url' is omitted, $HOME is used instead.

            # If 'mimetype' is specified, it will be used to determine the
            #   component that konqueror should use. For instance, set it to
            #   text/html for a web page, to make it appear faster

> 3.  Is there an official method to determine whether konqueror is
>     installed?

PATH=`kde-config --path exe` which konqueror

I'm not sure how well this will work when you install as root, because it
appears that 'kde-config' gets installed to the same dir as 'konqueror' by
default which seem to defy the purpose of this tool. Anyway, if the user is
using KDE then kde-config is in the path.

> 4.  Is there a C, C++, or executable level API to make Konqueror reread
>     its mime and helper associations from disk once we've modified them?

KDE and konqueror should automatically detect any change in the mimetype
configuration.

You could force an update with

	dcop kded kbuildsycoca 'recreate()'
	dcop konqueror KonquerorIface 'reparseConfiguration()'

> 5.  Has the format of .kdelnk mime and helper associations changed?

.kdelnk files are now named .desktop. I don't think they have changed
although some additional fields my have been introduced.

> 6.  (I think this is the wrong list for this question)
>     Do we add items to the K menu in the same way?

Yes but, once again, the .kdelnk files are now called .desktop files.

If you want to install something to e.g. the Multimedia group then the
'official' path to copy the .desktop file to can be found with

	`kde-config --expandvars --install apps`/Multimedia

> 7.  What method should I use to extract the user's http proxy preferences
>       from your browser... we support an option for the user to use
>       "the same proxy as my browser uses" .

Hm. This is subject to change I'm afraid but at the moment the following keys
are stored in the kioslaverc config file:
[Proxy Settings]
NoProxyFor=
UseProxy=false
ftpProxy=
httpProxy=

The portable way to proceed would be to write a small KDE 2.0 program that
reads this information via the KProtocolManager class.

> Lastly, please if any of you have specific questions about realplayer
> helper app issues or embedded player (plugin) issues, please let me know.
> I have to install Konqueror now to try it out... I haven't tried it yet!

Let us know how you like it :-)

Cheers,
Waldo
--