On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Andreas Pour wrote: > > Hi, > > You may take a look at ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/programming/pcre/. > This is quite cross-platform (it's used in php which runs just about > everywhere) and has the backticks, look-aheads, conditional matches, yada yada > yada. > > It would actually be really cool to wrap this in C++ and include it in > kdelibs. Would save tons of programming time on many things that do not > require super-optimization. > > But wait -- it's already been wrapped in C++. See > http://regx.sourceforge.net/. > Cool! This could make life a lot easier :-) Thanks, - Mike > Ciao, > > Andreas > > > Michael Bedy wrote: > > > > On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Harri Porten wrote: > > > > > Michael Bedy wrote: > > > > > > > > Well, I have looked over the regexp stuff, and there are a few ways to > > > > proceed, as I see it.. > > > > > > > > 1) Write a complete regexp package. > > > [...] > > > > 2) Rip the regexp stuff out of glibc and hack away. > > > > > > I always was under the impression that we just have to map a few > > > functions (e.g. for retrieving captures) and that's all. What exactly is > > > missing ? It would really be a dumb move by the authors of the spec if > > > they require functionality not being provided by regular system libs. > > > > > > > The spec says it's "modelled after the regular expression facility in > > the perl 5 programming language." > > > > > > 3) Write a "preprocessor" that converts a Javascript regexp into an > > > > POSIX one. Then use the POSIX stuff as it does now. > > > > > > That's the way *I* intended to go. Under the assumption that the > > > differences would be rather minor, of course. Even if - let's say - 5% > > > of the features can't be done that way I would simply skip them unless > > > they are proven to be used in real world web pages. > > > > > > > Oh, I don't WANT to write a regex package. I've got a good idea how > > much work that would be. > > > > The POSIX spec (at least as presented by the documents I have found on > > the web) has several significant differences from JS. As an example, JS > > allows things like "\w" which matches any "word" character. POSIX has > > [:alnum:], which I think means the same thing. > > > > So far, I have determined that at least one (evil) feature of JS just > > can't be done with POSIX (at least, not at the same time as tons of more > > interesting stuff): backreferences. > > > > One additional option: GLIBC has a seperate interface to it's regular > > expression stuff, and it may provide almost all of the constructs > > required. Pros: easy, Cons: only woks on GLIBC systems. > > > > Or, another (heavy) option is to link to libperl and use it, since JS > > regex is taken pretty much word for word from perl. > > > > - Mike > > -- > Ciao, > > Andreas Pour > > http://www.kde.com/ : Everything KDE > http://apps.kde.com/: The Latest in KDE Applications >