List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Regexp stuff is KJS.
From:       Michael Bedy <mjbedy () mediaone ! net>
Date:       2001-01-30 5:24:13

  Well, I have looked over the regexp stuff, and there are a few ways to
proceed, as I see it..

   1) Write a complete regexp package.

	Pros:
	  - It'll work the way the spec says it should work.
          - Probably the cleanest answer.

	Cons:
	  - A whole lot of work.
	  - Optimization, complexities, etc.
	  - Did I mention it's a lot of work?

   2) Rip the regexp stuff out of glibc and hack away.

        Pros:
	  - It looks like most of the stuff is already implemented there.
          - Adding to bug fixed, optimized code.
	  - Can (maybe) contribute it back. It looks like the same code is
            used for just about all the GNU tools.

        Cons:
          - I don't know how touchy they'd be about it.
          - Understanding that code, with all it's strange options, may
            turn out harder than at first sight.

   3) Write a "preprocessor" that converts a Javascript regexp into an
      POSIX one. Then use the POSIX stuff as it does now.

        Pros:
          - (Probably, maybe) the least work.
          - Be using the optimized regexp provided by the system.

	Cons:
	  - Really a hack.
	  - Not yet convinced it would work.

  Really, anything except option 1 sounds like a hack to me, but I figure
I'd post this and see what others have to say.

    - Mike