List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Suggestion: cookie improvements
From:       Keunwoo Lee <klee () cs ! washington ! edu>
Date:       2001-01-23 23:54:26

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:

> On Tuesday 23 January 2001 16:04, Keunwoo Lee wrote:
> > + A "more information >>" button on the "Cookie Alert" dialog box.  This
> > could provide more advanced options (like examining the cookie contents),
> > as well as information for novice users about what cookies are, and what
> > they are typically used for.
>
> Already done for 2.1 except for the description about what cookies
> are.  IMHO though this is something that can be defined in the quick
> help so any user can click on the WhatisThis button and click on the
> dialog to get such description.

It's true that WhatIsThis is a firm part of the KDE UI, but I find it
rather obscure.  It's found in the "Help" menu, yet it doesn't work like
most other pulldown menu items (it changes the UI mode, rather than
bringing up a dialog or performing an action).  Also, many components
don't provide quick help text, so users don't turn to it as a first line
of defense.

It would be good to reuse the quick help text (less work for translators),
but an extra "help" button on the dialog box itself would also be a good
idea.  Or, one could include the text in the dialog box, with the option
to hide it in the future.

> > + Better options for viewing/deleting individual cookies (I see in the
> > source that we have stubs for this, so obviously it's on the agenda).
> > Especially desirable would be the option to edit the expiration date on
> > cookies (should also be doable from the "Cookie Alert"'s "more
> > information" option): I may want to accept a cookie from foobar.com, but
> > not one that expires in the year 2038.
>
> Again already there now, except for the ability to edit the expiration
> date :)  That seems to be the most request feature.  Yours is a bit
> different in that you want it to be editable from the "Alert" box
> which IMO is wrong.  But making it modifiable from the cookies
> managent dialog might be an option...

I think that if you see a cookie with a 50-year expiration, you would like
to say "keep this for only a week" right when you allow it to be
set---rather than setting it, and then going and editing it afterwards.
A section of the "more information >>" dialog that looks like this:

  Keep for:
    * This session
    * 24 hours
    * One week
    * Custom: [date entry]

would be sufficient.  But, if you're implementing it, I'll defer to you.
This is not to say I won't submit a patch later, of course. ;)

> > Conversely, a user might want to accept some "any server" cookies
> (even > though such cookies are evil), but *not* send them out to some
> servers.
>
> This one is a big NO NO IMHO.

Fine with me.  I didn't think it was a very good idea anyway, just
suggested it for completeness.

Thanks for listening.

~k.lee