List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: support for favicon.ico
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2000-11-30 4:57:33

Keunwoo Lee wrote:

> BTW a while back IE's favicon.ico support annoyed some people because it
> allows websites to track the bookmarking behavior of users.  Sounds minor,
> and yes these people are probably paranoid, but IMHO if this is
> implemented, a user option to disable it should be a priority.

Hmm, I think the technology works a bit different, at least from what I can
tell from log files.  When a browser first visits a site it looks for
favicon.ico in the root directory, and I think it can display it somewhere in
the browser (like where the Konqueror gear is) while you are browsing the site.

> Also, I don't see why we should restrict this to .ico files, at least for
> the second method.  We could rough in support for XPM and PNG, and later
> add the .ico filter.

Good point -- embrace and extend ;-).  Seriously, it's a good idea to be able
to associate an icon w/ a bookmark -- they are associated with most other
things on the desktop, and that for a reason.  And of course there is no
particular reason why Konqueror should support the non-standard .ico format
when it's quite easy for web sites to also have a .png or .gif version.

> Granted, developer.kde.org might be the only website that would take
> advantage of PNG icons :), but it's still worth a shot.  Why should people
> writing pages for Konqueror have to get a Windows icon editor?

ImageMagick -- convert favicon.png favicon.ico -- works great.

Ciao,

Andreas