List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: support for favicon.ico
From:       Malte.Starostik () t-online ! de (Malte Starostik)
Date:       2000-11-30 1:10:49

Am Donnerstag, 30. November 2000 01:22 schrieb Richard Moore:
> Kurt Granroth wrote:
> > Hans Meine wrote:

> > > That would be 2., obviously. I knew about 1.:
> > > Simply put /favicon.ico on your server so a http "GET /favicon.ico"
> > > will find it.
> >
> > Getting it isn't a problem.. supporting it is.  AFAIK, there is no
> > support for Window Icons in Qt or KDE.  Until there is, it's really
> > not practical to support this feature.
>
> IIRC windows .ico files are almost the same as bmps. We might be
> able to make a modified version of the bmp filter that supports
> the format.
With the emphasis on "almost" :( .ico's have a very different header than
.bmp's and the image data actually contains two bitmaps, an AND plane and an
XOR plane, so icons can have opaque, transparent and inverted-background
pixels. Also, a signle .ico file can contain multiple icons (usually used to
store multiple resolutions/colour depths). As I worked a bit with .ico
reading/writing in Windows I volunteer to try myself on an import-filter.
-Malte