List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: SMB slave
From:       520062092483-0001 () t-online ! de (aleXXX)
Date:       2000-11-17 10:15:54

On Friday 17 November 2000 09:53, Dirk Mueller wrote:
>On Don, 16 Nov 2000, Jelmer Feenstra wrote:
>> Well, that's about it. I'm afraid we can't do much besides helping the
>> guys at the samba project out with building a shared library. I for one
>> know they have been talking about it for quite some while now, but I don't
>> think it's making a lot of progress :(
>
>Either that, or build kio_smb against the "old" static libsmb. How is that
>libsmb feature-wise ? does it support the usual things we need?

I think this library doesn't really exist in library form.
Looking at my samba 2.0.7 sources I didn't find any *.a or *.so files there,
they simply link everything with the object files.
Wouldn't this mean we would have to include this part of the current samba
sources and build the lib for us own ?

I don't have cvs-sources from samba here, so maybe I am wrong.

For the wrapper-option: do you think it would be theoretically possible to
start smbclient with a preloaded small lib which overwrites mainly the
fopen() or whatever function in that way that it doesn't create a file but a
named pipe ?
This way getting from smbclient would be transparent, wouldn't it ?

Maybe this could work for put too, not sure,but maybe for putting this is not
such a problem, is it ?

Bye
Alex