List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: konqueror SMB support problems
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-09-18 18:18:35

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Jelmer Feenstra wrote :
>On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Simon Hausmann wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Given the current problems with the smb slave in the KDE CVS Repository
>> I think it would be very realistic to get your new smb slave into the
>> 2.0 release. I (and probably whole kfm-devel@kde.org ;-) would be
>> _VERY_ interested it testing it (and including it if it works better
>> than the current smb ) .
>>
>> Is there any way to test it? :-)
>
>I've contacted Alexandr Makaryk about it, he sent me the .tar containing the
>MWN library and the SMB slave. It all looks quite useful, however I really
>think the current smb implementation is the better one. The implementation
>done by Alexandr is actually just a wrapper around smbclient (tools from the
>samba package) and doesn't allow for files to be actually read / streamed
>from a windows share.
>
>This means that copies have to be made of every file you're trying to access
>, this is,  if you guys go for the Corel solution. Brodu's libsmb++ uses
>actual replacements for the standard open / read / close functions, which I
>think is the way to go. This enables applications like pictureviewers or
>audioplayers to read the file directly from the network, instead of copying
>it first and reading it from the local drive afterwards, which is SLOW.
>
>BUT, in order for the libsmb++ code to keep functional, it has to be updated
>frequently :( This is not an issue if the smb slave is implemented using a
>smbclient wrapper. As long as the smbclient's output / input doesn't change,
>konqueror's (*limited*) smb support will be working great for a long time.
>
>Your thoughts / comments ?

I totally agree with you. I didn't know that Corel's kio_smb is only a wrapper
around smbclient. Well, actually I guessed so but I didn't realise the implications.
The major implication is, as you say: no real network transparency :((((
This sucks. One is not maintained but does what we want, the other is maintained
but doesn't do what we want. Argl. ;-)

http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/