List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: konqueror SMB support problems
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-09-12 16:08:19

Jelmer Feenstra wrote:
> > Given the current problems with the smb slave in the KDE CVS Repository
> > I think it would be very realistic to get your new smb slave into the
> > 2.0 release. I (and probably whole kfm-devel@kde.org ;-) would be
> > _VERY_ interested it testing it (and including it if it works better
> > than the current smb ) .
>
> What excactly are the problems with the current smb slave ? Win2K browsing
> and "&" in names are the problems I know of. If that's all, I doubt it's a
> good thing to implement another one using the corel code (unless it's really
> a lot better/faster etc).

Well, the main problem is that there isn't an active maintainer.  The
author is just too busy to deal with the code and nobody else is
stepping up.  Presumably, if we use Corel's code, there will be
somebody to keep up with bug reports.

Beyond that, there *are* more problems then the one you list.  On my
system, for instance, the smb slave is *very* flaky.  For instance, it
almost never detects all of the hosts on my network -- usually just
one, actually.  Then, it will sometimes just drop the connection and
not allow me to regain it.
           KDE -- Putting a Friendly Face on Unix