This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------6317ADADB6587AB5FF660F01 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Jelmer Feenstra wrote: > > Given the current problems with the smb slave in the KDE CVS Repository > > I think it would be very realistic to get your new smb slave into the > > 2.0 release. I (and probably whole kfm-devel@kde.org ;-) would be > > _VERY_ interested it testing it (and including it if it works better > > than the current smb ) . > > Hmm, yeah me too ! I'm on a network with 1600 computers, a LOT of them have > SMB shares. This also means a lot of weird systems are on this network, so > for testing purposes it's quite ideal. > > One more thing, isn't this SMB implementation the one done by Corel for Corel > Linux ? Yes, it is based on the work we did to extend KDE 1.x. It may not be the best implementation but at least it works quite well on our network with multiple domains and thousands of nodes. However, I have not played with the KDE 2 kioslave version so I am not sure how reliable it is yet but that is for you folks to find out together with Alexandr. I am sure that there will be some more integration work that needs to be done in order to work seamlessly with KDE 2. > If it is, is it under the GPL ? And again, if so, why hasn't it > turned up anywhere else yet ? It is under LGPL for any shared library code. The source code has always been on our FTP site and our opensource.corel.com CVS tree. I am not too worried about licensing at this stage as I am sure we can work it out. While we are on this topic of putting 3rd party code into KDE, we have also been reviving the Mozilla Qt port for the last several months. We now have a Qt port of Mozilla that is even a bit more stable than the official GTK port on Linux. Of course, we are planning to have a kpart for Mozilla too so konqueror and others can use it too if so desired. Again, we are just providing an alternative while the core KDE team work out all the bugs and standards conformance features with their khtml implementation. We are actually looking for some help in this area now. If anyone is interested, just let me know. Thanks. > Well, we'll see what happens ! :) > > Jelmer Feenstra --------------6317ADADB6587AB5FF660F01 Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=us-ascii; name="mingp.vcf" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Description: Card for Ming W. Poon Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="mingp.vcf" begin:vcard n:Poon;Ming x-mozilla-html:FALSE url:www.corel.com org:Corel Corporation;Corel LINUX adr:;;1600 Carling Avenue;Ottawa;Ontario;K1Z-8R7;Canada version:2.1 email;internet:mingp@corel.com title:Development Manager x-mozilla-cpt:;25344 fn:Ming Poon end:vcard --------------6317ADADB6587AB5FF660F01--