List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Renaming Konqueror to ... ?
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2000-08-15 4:45:13

I personally like it :-)
In Greek it "Octopodia" (people from Greece, sorry if I mistype),  in
Bulgarian it also sounds similar. In Russian - different, but I do not mind.
(as far as I know, in German sounds also similar to octopus)
As Greek language is one of the oldest on our planet, many other languages
were "importing" words from it and then modifying.
Word preambula is also good - taking into consideration that world-wide web
cover the whole planet Earth, and more then a half of Earth is water.

Let me propose you two eaxmple of headlines.
Imagine the same NY times with:
1) "KDE makes breaktrough with Konqueror"
     <sub-headline:> Konqueror web browser brings you to new level of
productivity
2) "KDE makes breaktrough with oKtopus" (or whatever)
 <sub-headline:> oKtopus web browser brings you to new level of productivity

Which one you personally choose?

For people who are confused or do not agree, I recommend following:
-> propose this name or other to your wife (spouse) and mother/farther.
It is very good test. I always test new products (designs/layouts) on my wife.
On Konqueror, she asked me: "What???" My mother doesn't speak English, and I
just affraid to offer this test to her.

New Kandalf image is very good, why don't extend this good experience?
(or use Dragon theme, as dragon from Bug report is very nice as well)

And IMPORTANT NOTE:
As product is not announced (yet), it's NOT LATE to rename it. Now it's just
RIGHT TIME.

And I fully agree with you - we should not forget name Konqueror.
You can write in About dialog box :
 " xxxxx browser and file manager.
   Uses Konqueror technology "
word technology can be replaced with brand-new methods, like "engine",
"advanced rendering mechanism".

Best regards,

Vadim

-