List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC:UserAgent string in kio_http
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-07-24 21:42:11

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Navindra Umanee wrote:
> Alex Zepeda <jazepeda@pacbell.net> wrote:
> > > But you're right, some sites already work differently depending on
> > > whether one is running Netscape or IE, so the above features are still
> > > invaluable.
> >
> > Which ones?  Try them again (as in today), and tell me if you really
> > notice a difference with konqueror.
>
> Go, say to http://www.hotmail.com/ and click on new user.  Or go to
> http://www.granroth.org/ and see how the behaviour changes depending
> on the User-Agent string.  There are many sites like this.  I can't
> compile a full list right now, sorry.
>
> Does it really hurt this much to change the default to conform with
> the rest of the market?  Granted, Konqueror is not Mozilla or IE, but
> isn't it trying to compete in the same area?

Well this was my point when I first started this thread originally.  Many
people complain about not being able to login into some sites even though
we cannot explicitly find anything wrong in the code code.  Anyways,
changing the default is not a big deal since both io-slave programmers and
the user can override (with the programmers preference taking precendence)
these settings.  I am going to change the default since I have not seen any
good argument for not doing so :((  If people do not like it, they can simply
change the default value in the control panel under

Browsing/Web/User Agent

from which the http-ioslave obtains its info...

Regards,
Dawit A.