List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Extensions to the HTTP slave.
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-06-29 23:23:26

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > I want to make better interaction possible between khtml and http in a
> > more or less easily extendiable way.
> >
> > Things I currently have in my mind are:
> > * Passing HTTP_Referer from khtml to http.
> > * Passing "Accept" header from khtml to http.
> > * Passing "Last modified" from http to khtml.
>
> Add few more things here:
> * Modifying the Referer field based on user request ( privacy related )
> * Accept Encding can also be added here ( Mozilla has this )
> * User-Agent string might also be included here...

The possibilities are endless :-)

> > Other things that need a solution:
> > * "isCached" indication from http to konqueror. Pages that are not cached
> > by http need to be cached internally by konqueror so that konqueror's
> > history does not need to fetch them again.
>
> Hmmm... confused by this one.

There are request which we do not cache on-disk for various reasons. Such
pages should be cached in konqueror if we want to have a proper working
history. The result of a post-request is an example of a page that we do not
cache, but there are other circumstances in which we do not cache a page.

> > A convenient way to represent the metaData would be a "QMap<QString,
> > QString>".
> >
> > The metaData could also be used as replacement for the current "reload"
> > flag.
>
> I think this is a great idea.  Reading your last comment it reminded me
> that we might even be able to use it to solve the authentication dilema we
> have now. Konqy can store the realm and authorization string ( in case of a
> digest authentication ) value and use it appropriately when a user clicks
> on a link in an authorized page.  Look forward to this...

Endless posibilities :-)

Cheers,
Waldo
--
Make way, KDE/Linux is coming to a desktop near you!