List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: kio::netaccess and imagepreview
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-06-13 18:18:38

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Richard Moore wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
> > > I have created a similar effect before by using the enter_loop() and
> > > exit_loop() methods in QApplication. These create a nested event loop,
> > > but they do not prevent access to the applications widgets as the modal
> > > dialog trick does.
> >
> > We know, that's what NetAccess uses currently, and that's exactly the
> > problem (being able to close a window while a NetAccess operation is
> > going on, and when the control comes back from it, it runs code in a
> > deleted object
>
> The trouble with using a modal dialog is that it blocks all the windows
> in the app. Could you make it semi modal instead?

You want to make it modal with respect to the current main-window only, but
for that you need to pass a pointer to the main-window to NetAccess. We can
move my modal-widget hack (or another hack) to KTMainWindow. I would propose
a static function so that it will work both with and without parent widget.

Does my hack work if you use QWidget(0,0,WType_Modal) instead of QWidget(0)?

The semi-modal version would then read:

QWidget(parent, 0, WType_Modal)

Cheers,
Waldo
--
Make way, KDE/Linux is coming to a desktop near you!