List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: kio::netaccess and imagepreview
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-06-11 11:09:31

On Sun, Jun 11, 2000 at 10:38:45AM +0200, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> The first one shows a nice loop of KIO::NetAccess::stat() being called
> recursively from local event loops (this seems a good candidate for
> Waldo's proposed reference counting?) .

Oooh. No, it's something different (the ref counting is in order to delay
the kapp->quit(), which is not the problem here).
What happens is: to determine an item's pixmap, NetAccess::stat is called,
control goes to event loop, slotOnItem is called (mouse movement), which calls
KonqFileItem::pixmap because of that "icon activated" feature again !
(This stuff has lead to many many problems since it's there :(
So we have re-entrance in the same KonqFileItem::pixmap, which sucks.
I was planning to set a bool "this pixmap comes from an image preview"
in KonqFileItem, so that in slotOnItem it doesn't do _anything_.
Will speed up moving the mouse over images, in addition.
Ok, fix coming.

> The second one shows the event loop problem (a timer event into the
> iconview although the mainwindow including all views (iconview) have
> already been destructed (according to the debug output above) .

Yeah, I've been fighting with that one - it's unrelated to NetAccess.
It's that m_timer (for slotProcessMimeIcons) that keeps running after
the view is closed, even though
- the timer is a child of the view -> it should get destroyed
- I added an explicit stop() in the destructor of the view... no avail :(

> BTW, shall we really name the thumbnail directory .mospics? I mean, it's
> probably cool for mosfet :-)) but it doesn't tell very much. How about
> calling it .kthumbs or so? Just my HO :-)
I agree. Now try to convince him :-)

http://home.clara.net/faure/