List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    kio::netaccess and imagepreview
From:       Simon Hausmann <shaus () helios ! med ! Uni-Magdeburg ! DE>
Date:       2000-06-10 13:23:09

Hi,

I'm currently experiencing a strange problem with the imagepreview and
kio::netaccess. From time to time I get "randomly" crashes when closing a
last konqueror window during the process of creating the image preview
thumbnails. The backtrace is always different, but in the end it always
looks like this:

- the mainwindow receives a close event and destroys all views, etc.
- no more toplevel windows exist -> lastWindowClosed is emitted which is
  connected to qapp->quit(), which sets app_exit_loop to true
- now we return back to the event loop
- ah, the event loop is finished, because app_exit_loop is true
- we leave enter_loop() and return
- oops! we were in a enter_loop() call in KIO::NetAccess! Now we return
  before the job finished and after everything has been destructed
  --> boom

I might have misunderstood the backtraces gdb gave me, so I easily
might be completely wrong with my "interpretation" :)

However if it is true, then I guess the point is: We may use the
enter_loop() trick only if at the same time we have a dialog to show
(which then will look like a modal dialog and prevent the user from
closing other toplevel windows) . IIRC this used to be the case when stuff
like KIO::NetAccess::download() and friends showed progress dialogs. But
it seems this is a) handled by kio_uiserver (right?) and b) not used for
stuff like KIO::NetAccess::state() etc, anyway.

Again: I'm not really sure with my assumption %-} . But if it turns out to
be true, then I guess Houston has a problem (ahh, no, that was the other
way around ;-)

Bye,
 Simon