List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposed incompatible change: IO-slaves
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-05-30 9:19:04

On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 03:28:12PM -0400, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
> On Mon, 29 May 2000, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > Hiya,
> >
> > I would like to change the io-slave interface to use KURL instead of path &
> > query pairs. This change allows us to solve problems with non-ascii paths
> > with unknown encodings. Since we don't know the encoding of these paths it is
> > impossible to convert them to unicode reliable, so we can't pass them in a
> > QString. This problem is solvable within the KURL class, but for that we must
> > make sure to pass the URL around.
> >
> > This change involves changing _ALL_ io-slaves so I hope that no one is
> > currently working on big changes in his/her io-slave. If you do, please let
> > me know ASAP.
> >
> > Make sure to yell if you have objections to this change. Otherwise I will
> > commit my changes wednesday.
>
> Hmmm... I thought the use of KURL in the io-slaves was avoided because it
> slowed them down considerably ?

More or less. More exactly, a duplication problem.
The reason was: what's the point in resending
- the protocol
- the host
- the port
- the user
- the password
to a slave which we know is already connected to all of those ?

If you pass the full URL, then we have to _assume_ it matches
all of the above, which were given to the slave in setHost.
Since that's the intended way (AFAIK), it means we are _willingly_
passing redundant information. I'm fine with this, but I want to point
this out so that the code in the ioslave doesn't start to check for
all of those at the beginning of all commands (as it was done previously).

And yes, passing a KURL over the pipe is 8 times more than passing a
string, unless it's passed _as_ a string, but then it needs reparsing
on the slave's end...

I'm not convinced by the idea of passing KURLs to the slaves,
but I need to read more closely the discussion on the encoding stuff
first (my modem burnt after Sunday's storm, so I was cut from the world
yesterday :(

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org