List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Random ideas and thoughts
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-04-25 7:33:30

On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 10:13:38PM -0700, Chris Lee wrote:
> Hey, everybody...
>
> I'm going to take another look at the the KParts tutorial and I'm going
> to see about writing a bit of a wrapper to add some buttons to
> KPresenter presentations that are viewed in the Konqueror. Who here
> doesn't think that it would be incredibly useful to be able to run an
> entire presentation simply by knowing the location of the .kpr file on
> the web? All that you'd have to know is where it is, download it and
> view it in the Konqueror, and start the slideshow... regardless of
> whether or not others find it useful, I'll probably hack it out on my
> own. Anybody else interested should reply to this, as I have little
> experience with KDE/Qt programming.

In general, to add buttons, you simply need to hack the .rc file.
But I think the problem with KOffice apps is that they don't
have a .rc file for when they are in "embedded-in-browser" mode.
For this we need to hack something similar to what KWrite does :
it provides a .rc file for normal usage and _another one_ for when
it's embedded in konqueror. See the kwrite factory thingy.

This would definitely be useful - feel free to commit the change or
to send me a patch for reviewal.

> Next on the list: I would like to congratulate everyone involved with
> Konqueror development, because I sat down and just used it to surf.
> Cookies worked right on Slashdot; on Linux.com, fonts resized like a
> dream; the pages all looked fine (except for http://www.be.com/. for
> some reason kHTML doesn't like it...) and the entire experience was very
> nice. I'm extremely excited as to how the end users are going to feel
> when they get ahold of this desktop... it's incredibly cool.
:-)

> I also started wondering about the Linux-framebuffer version of Qt that
> Troll Tech is developing. Can anybody tell me exactly how easily KDE
> will be ported to it? How much does KDE rely upon X, and how little of
> that code do you guys believe will be portable to the new Qt? I'm very
> excited personally because I think that framebuffer Qt with KDE could
> make a *killer* handheld device. PocketPC what? : )
I'm no expert but I see quite a lot of things depending on X, in KDE...
Nothing that can't be changed, I suppose, but getting 2.0 out is (for me
at least) definitely a priority.

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org