List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: AW: Keyboard traversal of links
From:       Lars Knoll <Lars.Knoll () mpi-hd ! mpg ! de>
Date:       2000-04-21 12:58:10

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000, Tobias Anton wrote:

> Lars Knoll wrote:
> >
> > Well, since you cc'ed to kfm-devel, let's switch to english.
> > Hope people will be able to guess the German parts ;-)
> > It's about keyboard navigation inside khtml...
> I still am not sure if this cc arrived in the mailing list.
> Lars, if you got the last and this email twice, everything
> should be OK. Did you get the messages twice?

I only got it once. Are you subscribed to kfm-devel?

> > > der enum-typ DOM::ActivationState sieht einen Zustand
> > > "Vistitedbutoff" oder so vor. Ist nur eine Idee.
> > I don't think that's the right way. An anchor has to know about the
> > visited/not visited state by itself, as the look of visited/not visited
> > links can be influenced by style sheets. Simon, David, I'd somehow need a
> > list of visited URL's for that. Any idea how to implement that?
>
> Perhaps a static member of the HTMLAreaElementImpl-Object?

No need. It will be done at parsing while setting the colour of links
through the style sheet.

> Another question about the history:
> couldn't we store the complete rendering- and document- trees of the
> recently
> visited sites in memory, so that it would not be neccessary any more to
> re-render the page in case of a cache-hit?
> How much memory would have to be spent on such a memory-cache?

Not a good idea IMO. We already cache style sheets and images in memory
to speed up loading of pages. Beacuse of this parsing/rendering a page is
really fast in khtml, so unless the page is 1M long, it will be rendered
very fast in case it's stored in the cache of kio_http. The slight speed
gain we get by caching the DOM/rendering tree in memory is not worth all
the memory used IMO.

Try it with some pages and tell me if you think it's too slow.

Ciao,
Lars