List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: HTML forms
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () suse ! de>
Date:       2000-04-11 18:20:52

On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Dirk A . Mueller wrote:
> > Trying to find my way in khtml :-)
>
> If you're working on forms, could you please give me a quicknote on which
> areas you work on so that the work doesn't get duplicated?

I'll try to save the state of the forms in the history.

Approach for saving:
All forms register themselves to DocumentImpl (So that we don't need to
search the whole document for any forms) When a page is added to the history,
KHTMLPart::saveState() is called. This asks DocumentImpl for any state
information which needs to be saved. DocumentImpl calls all objects which
have registered themselves for their state information.

Approach for restoring:
KHTMLPart::restoreState() reads the state info of the document and passes it
along via URLArgs. In KHTMLPart::begin() the info is retrieved again from
URLArgs and passed to DocumentImpl as the state to which the document should
restore to. When a form registers itself to DocumentImpl() it will get a
string back which represents its state at the time the form was saved.
The various HTMLElementImpl::attach() functions should query the form to see
if they should set their value to something else as the default.
(I guess TextArea needs another place for this?)

Any comments or suggestions?

Cheers,
Waldo