List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    HTML forms
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () suse ! de>
Date:       2000-04-10 18:00:46

Hiya,

I'm trying to store the state of a form in Konqy's history. So that when you
fill out a form, go back and then forward again, what you have typed isn't
lost.

I had a look at HTMLInputElement and its render objects, and had a look at
the DOM and HTML 4.0 spec.

What I intend to do is that after an input element is created and its
"initial value", according to the DOM, is set, I set its value to the value
stored in the history.

If I understand the current code correctly, I could do that by calling
RenderFormElement->setValue(). However, that would mean that I change the
"inital value" as well. Shouldn't the RenderFormElements store the "initial
value" in addition to the actual "value"?

Currently HTMLInputElement::setDefaultValue() and
HTMLInputElement::setValue() both set the same thing.

The difference becomes visible when you "reset" the form. In that case the
"initial values" are supposed to be used.

*hm* Something else: RenderTextArea calls reset() from within layout(). That
means that resizing a page resets the textarea. (render_form.cpp:796)
RenderSelect calls reset() and layout() from within close(). Should
RenderTextArea do the same?

Cheers,
Waldo
--