List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: kdeinit
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-04-05 11:18:41

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 01:29:56PM +0200, Simon Hausmann wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, David Faure wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 01:05:37PM +0200, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> > >
> > > 1) Add a second konqueror.desktop (different name) , with
> > > Exec=libkonqueror
> > >
> > > 2) Hack kinit to also look for appname.la and libappname.la when trying to
> > >    dlopen the service.
> >
> > 3) Define a konqueror.so which includes main and links to libkonqueror.so
>
> That is what I tried, too, and I get:
> automake: konqueror/Makefile.am: `konqueror.la' is not a standard libtool
> library name
> make: *** [Makefile.in] Error 1
>
> This seems to be related to the fact that we have libkonqueror.la and
> konqueror.la, which libtool doesn't seem to like.

You mean it works if you rename (temporarily) libkonqueror.so to
something else ? That would be strange...

> Another possible solution: Move the code which is current in libkonqueror
> to libkonq and get rid of libkonqueror. (that way we can create
> konqueror.la I think)
>
> (it seems...well..strange to me anyway to have libkonq and libkonqueror
> :-))

Well... libkonq is for stuff needed by various other apps, it's in fact
the "file manager construction kit" and I would have called it
libkfm if name thing didn't exist before for something else.
Or libkfile, already taken too ;-)
Should we go for libfmck (see long name above) ? People will be quick
to replace the m with another letter ;-)

libkonqueror is the stuff that is used to all konqueror views, right ?
(at least the builtin ones). That's the one we could rename
(say to libkonqcore or libkonqgui)

and konqueror.so is just a kdeinit trick, we have to stick to that name.

But right, this shows we use shared libs for too many things now ;-)

In any case, we certainly don't want to merge libkonq and libkonqueror.
Take kicker, for instance. It simply needs the properties dialog
(which needs KonqFileItem). We surely don't want kicker to link
to ALL the konqueror code (including the mainview, childview, all that stuff)
just for that. Same for kfind, etc.
The "file manager construction kit" concept makes sense. The name of its lib not :-)

> But I don't know anything about cookies. I _EAT_ them :-))
;-)

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org