List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: kdeinit
From:       Simon Hausmann <shaus () helios ! med ! Uni-Magdeburg ! DE>
Date:       2000-04-05 11:05:37

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, David Faure wrote:

> > I did some little testing and changed Makefile.am to put all code into
> > libkonqueror (including main() ) and copied libkonqueror.so to
> > konqueror.so in my $prefix/lib . That made kdeinit dlopen konqueror.so
> > (instead of exec'ing konqueror) .
> Didn't you have to change konqueror.desktop too ?
> (I thought you had to specify the libname there - unless perhaps kdeinit
> figures it out from the app name).

AFAIK kdeinit tries to load app_name.la and falls back on
exec( app_name ) if that fails.

(that is why I copied libkonqueror.la/so to konqueror.la/so on my hdd)

> > It might be easily possible that I got the wrong impression, but for me it
> > made the startup approx. 2/3 seconds faster.
> >
> > Could that be possible?
>
> Definitely. Loading all those shared libs takes time, and kdeinit
> frees you from that. Commit :)

There's one problem left:
KLauncher uses the Exec field to determine the service's command. This is
passed over to kdeinit.

That means we cannot launch libkonqueror, and changing the Exec= entry in
konqueror.desktop to libkonqueror seems wrong, or? ;-)

(and we cannot rename libkonqueror to konqueror in Makefile.am, as the
"builtin" views link against libkonqueror (and specifiying konqueror.la
instead of libkonqueror.la makes libtool bail out)

Possible solutions:

1) Add a second konqueror.desktop (different name) , with
Exec=libkonqueror

2) Hack kinit to also look for appname.la and libappname.la when trying to
   dlopen the service.

Waldo? :-)

> Speaking about kdeinit:
> yesterday I got a big problem with it, since everything it starts
> goes into ~/.xsession-errors, and since we start a lot of things from
> kdeinit, well it filled up my $HOME partition and it took me
> a while to find out (I kept deleting stuff, and the free space kept
> disappearing since the file was keeping growing !!). Morality,
> let's reduce the debug output :-)

Ohh
true :-)

> And speaking about konqueror startup time:
> it starts the cookiejar on startup. Shouldn't we do that only when
> the HTML view is loaded for the first time ? I surely don't need
> a cookie jar for browsing my local drive !
> Perhaps putting that in KHTMLFactory (whatever it's called) is the answer ?

I 100% agree. Perhaps even kio_http should try to launch kcookiejar
itself?
Waldo? :-)

Ciao,
 Simon