List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Lars' problems with kio_http
From:       Graham TerMarsch <gtermars () home ! com>
Date:       2000-03-28 0:50:56

David Faure wrote:
> kio_http: Got header (21830): "Content-Type: application/octet-stream"
> which explains it.
>
> But... after investigation, this only happens when using "HEAD",
> it doesn't happen when using "GET". This is annoying, since we use
> "HEAD" to determine the mimetype ;-))
>
> Any HTTP expert ? What's the problem here ? The server ?
> Or using HEAD at all ?

Can't say that I'm an "expert", but from what I know of HTTP and the way
that its supposed to work, expecting a 'HEAD' and a 'GET' request to return
the same Content-type is a definate "must do" as far as the standard goes.
I do know of, however, several apps out there that don't adhere to this
part of the standard properly, and return entirely different information
based on whether you've made a 'HEAD' or a 'GET' request.

They should, however, return the same info; 'HEAD' is supposed to provide
you the headers that you'd normally get with a 'GET' command, but no body
to go along with the document.  At first glance, I'd wager it to be a bug
in the app or app-server that they're running.

--
Graham TerMarsch