List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    RE: konqy listview configurability
From:       aleXXX <alexander.neundorf () rz ! tu-ilmenau ! de>
Date:       2000-03-20 10:24:53

On Mon, 20 Mär 2000, David Faure wrote:
> Wouldn't it be a lot better if the columns, by default, showed whatever
> the protocol has to show us ? As I said, that would be easy to do
> with KProtocolManager::listing() and by fixing the desktop files
> so that they list ALL fields.
> That would match your idea of "So by default show almost everything",
> but not _everything_ per se. Everything the protocol supports.

Does this mean in openURL() if (isNewProtocol) enable/disable the actions ?

> Hmm ? You didn't use the kconfig entries and groups I implemented
> in readProtocolConfig ?

Ehh, no.
It seemed to me quite complex.
I added members m_bShowFileSize and so on to konq_propsview, this seemed to me
the right place.
What does KConfigGroupSaver do ?

> > P.S. is it sufficient to update kdebase/libkonq and
> > kdebase/konqueror or changed more important stuff since Thursday ?
> Nah, you need kdelibs too. Thursday is prehistoric times. ;-)

Does this mean kdebase, kdeutils and kdegraphics too ?
Can you give me a hint how I can do this efficiently ?
Here where I have cvs access I have cvs from thursday, at home too.
If I copy the fresh cvs over the old cvs at home I'm sure everything will be
recompiled (around 5 hours), I'm not sure what happens to Makefile.am's, new
directories and so on.

> Conclusion: I would see it that way:
> * Per protocol
> * Default to KProtocolManager::listing [desktop files to be fixed]
> * User can change the columns shown/hidden for the current protocol
> * and settings are saved automatically.
>
> Opinions ?

Ok, second variant:
* same for every protocol
* save only after "Options->Save settings"
* default to almost all columns in the following (fixed) order
  -name always, then size,modification time,rights,owner,group,link dest
  -creation and access time would be inserted after modification time

con:
-empty columns don't disappear

pro:
-_much_ less and easier code
-no suddenly disappearing columns ;-)
-empty columns are easier (since it is not saved automatically) to disable

Opinions ?
(maybe also somebody additional to David ?)

IMO the pro isn't worth the con's, the most important columns will always be
first (name, size, date), if the others simply stay empty it's no big deal to
me, e.g. also the "Link"-column is in most cases empty.

Bye
Alex
--
If they say it's necessary to fight in a holy war
If they say your life is needed to protect the great ideals

Die Krupps