List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    konqy listview configurability
From:       aleXXX <alexander.neundorf () rz ! tu-ilmenau ! de>
Date:       2000-03-20 9:37:03

Hi,

over the weekend I made the DetailedListView and the TreeView configurable to
show only the information (file size, modification time, owner,...) and so on
selected in the menus.
It works the same way as it does in the current TextView.

I didn't commit yet because cvs update created conflicts and I can't compile
here.
If somebody wants to I could send him my modified files and he could merge it,
otherwise I'll check in tomorrow.

My implementation is currently _not_ protocol-dependant.
David, your implementation was per-protocol.
How exactly was it supposed to work ?

My implementation provides in the view-menu a submenu, where you can
enable/disable the columns. If you "Options->Save Settings" these settings are
saved. They are used for every protocol.
I had a look at KProtocolManager. There is listing().
I could check it to disable unsupported columns, but I'm not sure if this is
really useful.
I didn't try yet, but I think if I would enable "Show Owner" (I think e.g.
kio-smb doesn't support this), then browse locally, with the "Owner"-column,
then browse a smb-machine, I think I would consider it a bug if the column
"Owner" would suddenly disappear.

Or another way: if "Save Settings", then save the current settings not as
"ShowFileSize", but as e.g. "FTP_ShowFileSize" and use the settings for
kio_file as default ?
So by default show almost everything, if something isn't supported by a
protocol the user could disable it and then save the settings.

But as mentioned I'm not sure if this is really useful.

Please check the current TextView to see how it works there ("Save
Settings" doesn't work there yet). Tell me what you think, if you like it I
will commit tomorrow.

Waiting for comments.

Bye
Alex

P.S. is it sufficient to update kdebase/libkonq and kdebase/konqueror or
changed more important stuff since Thursday ?

--
If they say it's necessary to fight in a holy war
If they say your life is needed to protect the great ideals

Die Krupps