List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    RE: More comfortable templates-menu
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () cramersystems ! com>
Date:       2000-02-23 9:24:51

> Hi,
>
> I would like to make a proposal for the template-handling in
> konquerer:
konqueror :)
> When I have several files of the same kind in my templates-folder (e.g.
> one html-file with an one without frames, or even a .kde.html),
> I have to give
> them ugly names which look not very good in the menu. I also have to
> copy each template I want to use to the template-folder.
> My proposal is that you have a desktop-file for each template-file
> which is not itself a desktop-file. The desktop-file would
> contain e.g. the type (Type=Template),
> the location
> (Source=file:/usr/share/lyx/templates/dinbrief.lyx  e.g.)
> and the name
> (Name=DIN Letter for LyX).
> One could also have an action associated with the template, wich could
> be simly to copy the file or to execute an application with an URL.
> What do you think of it?

Excellent, excellent idea.

> I hacked this in kfm (1.1.2), so I think it would not be so
> hard to do.

Do you feel like implementing it in konqueror ? :-)

> Besides you can still handle the normal templates like default ones
> and ordinary files.

I would do it even for the default templates, because this also solves
the "do you want to install new templates" problem (well, half of it).
We used to ask that so that _new translations_ would be installed,
not because there was any new one... If we ship a new one we still have
to ask whether to install it, though...

BTW the Type doesn't need to be a new one.
Those could be Type=Link IMHO. They are links to existing files.
Of course this means that we can't have a Type=Link "normal template"
(the ones for FTP and HTTP) anymore, but I'm fine with that - instead
we'd have a link to the template itself.
It's also much cleaner because the _link_ has all the translated
names, no the template file itself.

--
David Faure
faure@kde.org - KDE developer