List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    URL filtering in konqy (Was:Konqueror bug - can I fix???)
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2000-01-28 23:20:30

On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Simon Hausmann wrote:

> > Well here is a patch.  I am not sure if this works though because I currently
> > cannot compile kdebase :((  It looks like someone made changes to QIconView
> > and forgot to commit.
> >
> > BTW,  what about the setLocationBarURL( view, url.decodedURL() ); sent to
> > childviews.  Doesn't it need to be changed as well ??
>
> Well, it seems Robert meant the title bar (not the locationbar :-)
>
> And I just checked the current code, and it works perfectly fine here
> (opening a text file with kedit keeps the directory URL in the locationbar
> -> the "failback" code in ::openView() resets the URL correctly)

Ahhh... okay.

While we are on the subject of URLs, I have something else to ask.  How do the
main or child views in konqy receive errors from KIOJob ??  The reason I ask
for this is currently there is no "short-url" support  in konqy ( ex: typing
"kde.org" or "mosfet.org" ).  Such URLs are redirected to Real Name's
server to be interpreted as IKW and failing that you get redirected to a search
engine.

I would like to add the "short-URL" support back and it is relatively simple to
do this by simplying modifying the filtering code in konqFilteredURL( const
QString &url ); .  However, if something is matched as a "possible short URL",
but it turns out to not be the case ( for example the short-url turns out to be
non-existant) we need to redirect to IKW and search engines.  This is how it is
done in current browser AFAIR and it also looks like someone started down that
road in konFilteredURL.  Oh yeah and of course as usual we have the *obligatory*
configurability built-in.  Do not want/need "short-url" support, then simply
disable it, same thing should be done for redirecting to the realnames server
and the search engines.

Regards,
Dawit A.