List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    RE: current konqy crashing in switch to directory tree
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () cramersystems ! com>
Date:       2000-01-21 9:14:33

> On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, David Faure wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 04:44:17PM -0500, Emily Ezust wrote:
> > > [Sorry if this has been discussed already in the list, but I'm not
> > > sure what to search for in the archives.]
> > >
> > > It worked, but I'm a bit confused now. Wasn't there a different
> > > option in the same place as Directory Tree that would show you
> > > a detailed listview, with sortable columns and headers like size,
> > > group, permissions, etc.? I can't seem to find anything like that
> > > now. :-(
> >
> > That's the treeview, which you're mixing with the "dirtree" (directories
> > only). The treeview hasn't been ported yet.
> > In terms of code management, I would prefer those two to be merged
though...

> Hmm, how could that look like?
>
> An option in the dirtree, like "Show Details", which reloads the whole
> tree, adds the details columns and also lists files?

I was talking of merging the code, not necessarily changing anything
to the user interface....

> Another option would be to rename the current TreeView to
> DetailsView (and possibly remove the tree stuff (making it a "flat" view))
.
Would be a bad idea IMO, losing functionality.

> But others (like Mosfet ;-) like a treeview where files and
> directories are mixed :)
And those who don't want to open dirs, well, they just don't click
on the + signs :)

> That would give a third option:
> Rename the TreeView to DetailsView and add a "Flat" option
> (enabling/disabling the tree functionality) .
> Hmmm, I vote for the third option.

But then what happens to the dirtree ?
It's still a lot of duplicated code isn't it ?
What about a TreeView with all options (flat / showdirs) ?

--
David Faure
faure@kde.org - KDE developer