List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    view management trouble ;)
From:       Simon Hausmann <shaus () helios ! Med ! Uni-Magdeburg ! DE>
Date:       1999-12-11 23:54:19

Hi,

I'm a bit in trouble with the view management in konqy :)

Actually I'm wondering about two problems:

1) We will want to provide an easy&fast way to remove passive views.
   (the current way isn't, at least not for views which are forced to be
    passive)
   The easiest approach coming to my mind is a small sort of close button
   in the view frame. This however conflicts with the idea not to make the
   splitter stuff in konqueror look like MDI .
   I'm clueless :-)

2) We decided to have a menu item like "Show/Hide Directory Tree", in
   order to provide a fast&easy way to make use of the dirtree (as the way
   via Window->Load View Profile, etc. isn't that good) .
   While it's quite easy to implement "Show Directory Tree" (like split
   window and let the view on the left be a dirtree view), I'm clueless
   about what the behaviour of "Hide Directory Tree" should be.
   Should it be like:
    a) Whatever views are available, remove the left/topmost dirtree.
   or
    b) get rid of all dirtree views (although I doubt that there will be
       user having more than one dirtree ;-)
   or
    c) you_name_it :)

/me looks for advice/help from the GUI design gurus :)

Ciao,
 Simon