List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: QIconView invert selection patch
From:       Richard Moore <rich () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-12-02 20:06:33

Reginald Stadlbauer wrote:

> On Thu, 02 Dec 1999, Richard Moore wrote:
> >Here's the implementation for the invert selection method I talked
> >about, do you think you could
> >add it to qiconview Reggie? Thanks
>
> For what is that needed? I mean adding it wouldn't be a problem, but I can't
> see a point where this method makes sense in a general way. And I have to be
> convinced before I add it (because I also need to add the same to QListView and
> QListBox then :-)

Why? I think you should do it, but I don't see what forces you to.

> So, if you can convince me that this is needed, I'll add it. If it only makes
> sense for filemanagers, then it should be added to libkonq/konqiconviewwidget
> or how this is called IMO.

I think it is a generally useful selction option. I would like to have
it in the
file dialog (when in multi select mode) too, for example. I often want
to be able
to say do XXX to every file/record etc. except for x, y and Z and
selecting them,
then inverting the selection is by far the easiest way I know to do
this. This is
true in many contexts other than dealing with files (consider a patch
manager as
a another example).

The reason I put it in qiconview was that I thought it was generally
useful and
that it could be more efficient if it was in the iconview itself.

Have I managed to convince you? If not I'll rewrite it for the
konqiconviewthingy.

> Also, your implementation has a small problem, it works not correct in
> Single selection mode! So a
>
> if ( d->mode == Single )
>         return;
>
> has to be added.

I guess you should add this to the select all method too, IIRC the code
differs
by only two lines (cut + paste). ;-)

Rich.