List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: mime-types
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-11-04 19:31:16

On Wed, Nov 03, 1999 at 04:30:47PM -0500, pbrown@redhat.com wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Nov 1999, David Faure wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 03, 1999 at 10:08:59PM +0100, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi, last time I checked the mime-types are file pattern only.
> > Nope.
> >
> > KMimeType::findByURL uses KMimeMagic when the extension is unknown or
> > when there is no extension.
> >
> > > Is there support for a "file" like typeing where a file signature is used to
> > > determine the type of the file.
> > yes.
> >
> > > I remember the application "directory opus" on amiga where you could add a
> > > number of rules with statements like "and" and "or" to intelligently check for
> > > the filetype.
> > KMimeMagic has this sort of things.
>
> Maybe the mime magic stuff should be stored in the .desktop entry along
> with everything else, instead of being broken out into it's own file?

It's feasible, sure, but IMHO too complex for what we would gain.

One issue is that several lines would be needed in the config file.
For instance we have now :
0       belong  0x13579ace      application/x-gdbm
0       lelong  0x13579ace      application/x-gdbm
0       string  GDBM            application/x-gdbm

This requires 3 entries or even 9 entries...
And then KMimeMagic needs to read all mimetype files (ouch, loss of performance).

[... needs more thinking probably...]

Since it's very obscure for a normal user, I suppose this isn't about
being able to customize it. So the only gain seems to be : third-party mimetypes...
And since third-party applications usually use well-defined extensions, I'm not sure
this is really needed...

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org