List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    RE: internet keywords - great!
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () earthlink ! net>
Date:       1999-11-02 19:55:54

On Tue, 02 Nov 1999, David Faure wrote:
> stop and let
> > >
> > > Dawit,
> > >
> > > Thanks for your explanation. Yes, by registering I meant making a kio
> > > slave available so that KURL knows (through KProtocolManager) what is
> > > available. I was under the (incorrect I think) impression that you could
> > > "add" a protocol dynamically w/o using a .desktop file.
> >
> > I do not think this is possible without a .desktop file.  As
> > I understand it, it is possible to dynamically add new ioslaves as along
> you
> > supply a .desktop file which is needed by KIO to recognize the service
> (new
> > slave).  David can you confirm this please ??  I am not completely certain
> how
> > KIO handles new additions to its ioslave handlers ...
>
> There is a confusion here, it seems.
>
> Since recently you can have KURL parse _any_ URL that is compliant to
> the RFCs (at least the current implementation of them done in KURL),
> even if you don't have a kioslave for that. As Simon explained,
> that's because some apps use urls internally (he talked about
> Magellan, I also saw this in the old koffice which used store://1 ...)
>
> So you don't need a .desktop file to have KURL recognize and parse correctly
> URLs.

Right I understand this very well.  Actually my rewrite is not commited yet and
will not be until after KRASH and that is if people like the changes and added
functionality.  Anyway let me stop talking about semi-vaporware code here. The
reason any URL is correctly parsed is because of Torben's redisgn and Simon
removing the check for the presence specific protocols ( those only supported by
kio ) at the end of the KURL::parse method.

> BUT you need one if you want kio support for this protocol.
> This is how you 'register' a kioslave (executable) to kiojob (library).

Okay this is almost what I wanted to know.  I should have been more clearer.
Sorry ;(

Let me not mix the discussion about kio and KURL.  My question to you David is
directly related to KIO only.  Here it goes :

How does one add a new slave for dealing with new protocols as they
are created.  Let say I design a new app as well as a new slave required by
my app.  I put this in a package for people to do the usual ( configure, make,
make install ... ).  When my new super duper slave is installed how do I get kio
to recognize it and use it i.e. how do I register it ?  And the answer here
seems to me to be to supply a .desktop with info about the new protocol right ?
Furthermore, there is no need to restart KDE for kio to recognize the newly added
protocol, in other words it will realize the presence of the new protocol
dynamically.  Correct ?

Regards,
Dawit A.