List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: GUI suggestions
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-10-03 21:33:35

On Sun, Oct 03, 1999 at 04:33:19PM -0400, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Oct 1999, David Faure wrote:
> [snipped]
> > > I still do not get this.
> > .. because you are talking of something different :))
> > TThomas and I were talking about showing which permissions
> > apply to the user. The algo above does it, and I think I'm going
> > to implement it.
> > You are talking about : can I or can't I change the permissions.
> > And that's a lot more complex I would say.
> > Doesn't it depend on the permissions on the current dir as well ? (not sure)
> >

> > > I cannot effectively change the permission to these
> > > files even though I can, through the group permission, read/write them.
> > > Since I do not have ownership to change these permissions,  I fail to see why
> > > the items would be enabled or set bold.
> > because we were talking about showing, not changing.
>
> Hmm ...  I thought I did understand, but then again maybe not.
>
> Here is what I thought Thomas was saying.  A user cannot easily find out
> what kind of permission (s)he has for a given file.  So the last suggestion
> made was to BOLD out the effective permission the user has so that it can be
> easily distinguished.  However, what I am suggesting as an alternate approach is
> to always hide the "Permissions" tab unless the current user is allowed to
> change the ownership and the permission on the file/directory.  Instead, we
> should add an entry in the "General" tab that describes the current user's
> permission.  IMHO, this has a couple of advantages : no need for the
> "Permission" tab for obtaining info and two it shows exactly what Thomas was
> suggesting in the first place :  the effective permission for the current user
> only!

Ok, I see. Sorry, it's me who misunderstood you.
But you seem to forget about the user/group that appear currently
in the permissions tab.
Even if I don't have permissions on a file, you might want to see
why - i.e. which user/group it belongs to, and what the permissions
are.
More generally, I don't think it's a good idea to hide all this (since
ls allows to see it, konq shouldn't be hide it).
And the general page is crowded enough I would say ! :)

IMHO it's better to be able to see it all, including the full permissions
page, but to disable what the user can't change, to prevent further error
messages when pressing ok or apply.

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org