List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: GUI suggestions
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () earthlink ! net>
Date:       1999-10-03 19:05:53

On Sun, 03 Oct 1999, David Faure wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 08:06:08PM +0200, Thomas Zander wrote:

> > > This if fine for _showing_ permissions, but then how can you change permissions
> > > if you don't see them (in this example, how does root give write-permission to
> > > the staff group ?)
> > >
> > Good one,
> >
> > Why not show the effective part as bold, i.e. user/group/other.
> > So when I inharit the rights of the group, make the word group bold. Maybe also
> > the rights that come with it.
>
> Sounds good.
>
> So the algo would be
>
> if uid = owner-uid => "user" in bold
> else if gid = owner-gid => "group" in bold
> else "other" in bold

I still do not get this.  I cannot effectively change the permission to these
files even though I can, through the group permission, read/write them.
Since I do not have ownership to change these permissions,  I fail to see why
the items would be enabled or set bold.

In order to show the effective permission for the user, I suggest we add
another entry in the "General" tab as follows :

Permissions :  USER/GROUP/OTHER (Read/Write/Execute ...)

If we do not have any permissions

Permissions : NONE

Then we can rename the "Permissions" tab to Change Permissions" and display it
iff the user has the ability to modify these settings.

What do you think ?

Regards,
Dawit A.