List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: GUI suggestions
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       1999-09-28 18:06:08

On Sun, 26 Sep 1999, David Faure wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 25, 1999 at 01:33:51PM +0200, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > In a file-properties window (the one with the permissions tab)
> > It is unclear what the effective permissions are for the user.
> >
> > Suggestion:
> > create a setting where the user can set his level-of-unix-expertise.
> > if expert, show all sets (user/group/others) and highlight the appropriate ones.
> > otherwise: show only the appropriate ones.
> >
> > for example: file perms are:
> > user    group   perms
> > root    staff   rwxr-x--x
> >
> > show rwx if user is root,
> > show r-x if user belongs to group staff otherwise
> > show --x
>
> This if fine for _showing_ permissions, but then how can you change permissions
> if you don't see them (in this example, how does root give write-permission to
> the staff group ?)

Good one,

Why not show the effective part as bold, i.e. user/group/other.
So when I inharit the rights of the group, make the word group bold. Maybe also
the rights that come with it.

--
Thomas Zander                                              zander@earthling.net
Today, it's understood that of course you'll use a computer,