List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Configurable treeview in konqueror
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-09-12 16:53:14

> What do you think about providing that new configurable treeview
>   structure via a combination of a simple directory structure and
>   .desktop files? Too much bloat?
Yes, definitely :)))

Here is a very pragmatic proposal : one group in konquerorrc, with 2 items.
Nothing more :)

Example :

[TreeView]
Names = Root,Trash,KDE FTP site,Mail
URLs = file:/,$HOME/Desktop/Trash,ftp://ftp.kde.org,<todo!!!>

(This is how QStringLists are saved in a config file).

But you're all going to shout : eeeh ! This only allows a flat structure !
The answer's no :)

For something like

 My Computer

   +--Root
   |   |
   |   +usr
   |   +var
   +--Trash
 KDE FTP Site
   +incoming
   +pub

the config would be
[TreeView]
Names = My Computer/Root,My Computer/Trash,KDE FTP Site
URLs = file:/,$HOME/Desktop/Trash,ftp://ftp.kde.org

Using "/" in the name means that it has to create toplevel groups
for each pseudo-directory in the name (i.e. each thing between two
slashes). Don't worry : KFileItem::encodeFileName takes care of
encoding real slashes into %2F :)

Did I forget something ?

What do you think ?

PS : of course, then comes the need for a way to configure this from
konqy's GUI. But that's for the next iteration :)

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org