List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: konqueror
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () suse ! de>
Date:       1999-09-02 7:59:58

> For some reason exception handling in mico is not enabled on your system.
> This should be indicated in the config.log of your mico installation.
>
> The reason why KOffice works fine is that it doesn't use exceptions that
> extensively ;-)
>
> The reason why you encounter this problem with konqueror, meaning why
> exceptions are used here, is that we attempt to connect to a signal of a
> view in Konqueror. KOM throws an exception to indicate that a certain
> signal is not implemented. Since we do not force every view to implement
> all signals, we simply use the exception handling to determine about
> implement signals.
>
> I heard several people reporting similar problems, but I don't know why
> exception handling doesn't work/is not supported on some systems.

Would it be possible to come with solutions that don't require exception handling?
Exception handling is the number 2 on the list of bloat-features (right after CORBA).
I have also seen too many "uncaught exceptions" in my life that I doubt whether
exceptions improve the reliability of a program. I think this is caused by a mentality
like "if there is a problem, we just throw an exception and someone else will
figure it out." If this happens to KDE we have managed to change a successfull
project into a bunch of trash.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers,
Waldo