On Sun, 29 Aug 1999, Dawit Alemayehu wrote: >On Sun, 29 Aug 1999, Reginald Stadlbauer wrote: >> On Sun, 29 Aug 1999, Cristian Tibirna wrote: >> > >> > >> >On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Troy Unrau wrote: >> > >> >> Shift-Tab cycles backwards through frame focus, and no, an autocomplete >> >> feature should not breaK other controls. >> > >> >What about netscape-like completion? I thought Qt does it somehow >> >automatically for some widget (sorry, didn't touch the Qt docu in a >> >while). >> >> It's done only in QComboBox for the items which are inserted. But it's easy to >> implement for paths too, we did it e.g. in the QFileDialog. >> >> What I'd like is todo it like in netscape or in the QFileDialog (complete with >> the first matching filename or whatever) but also popup a listbox below where >> the other possibilities are listed. When you keep typing the completeion goes >> on as before (complete with first matching path and popup list with other >> possibilities), but when you type Arrow_down or Arrow_up the next/prev item >> from the list is take for the completion. > >This is a good idea, but has one problem. What happens when you encounter >directories with huge number of enteries ( /dev for ex. ). Will the list box >provide scrolling ? I am sure this is what you have in mind. But for me the >beauty ( and IMHO advantage ) of CTRL-D or any other key based rotation is that >it does not take real state space at all. It rotates through all the available >options on the same box. > >> I implemented something similar somwhere, and this works quite fine and is very >> userfriendly IMO. > >IMHO the term userfriendliness is a matter of personal taste. I completely >agree that many people will find this solution completely user friendly. >However, just as many folks might not think so. So my question here is that >can this be yet another thing that could be made configurable ?? I can help ou >with this as I have already done some work on it. Of course we could make it configurable. Also we can say, only open the list if already a certain (e.g. 3) number of characters of the item is already entered by the user. -- Reggie