List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: completions
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () earthlink ! net>
Date:       1999-08-29 17:57:59

On Sun, 29 Aug 1999, Reginald Stadlbauer wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Aug 1999, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> >

> >On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Troy Unrau wrote:
> >
> >> Shift-Tab cycles backwards through frame focus, and no, an autocomplete
> >> feature should not breaK other controls.
> >
> >What about netscape-like completion? I thought Qt does it somehow
> >automatically for some widget (sorry, didn't touch the Qt docu in a
> >while).
>
> It's done only in QComboBox for the items which are inserted. But it's easy to
> implement for paths too, we did it e.g. in the QFileDialog.
>
> What I'd like is todo it like in netscape or in the QFileDialog (complete with
> the first matching filename or whatever) but also popup a listbox below where
> the other possibilities are listed. When you keep typing the completeion goes
> on as before (complete with first matching path and popup list with other
> possibilities), but when you type Arrow_down or Arrow_up the next/prev item
> from the list is take for the completion.

This is a good idea, but has one problem.  What happens when you encounter
directories with huge number of enteries ( /dev for ex. ).  Will the list box
provide scrolling ?  I am sure this is what you have in mind.  But for me the
beauty ( and IMHO advantage ) of CTRL-D or any other key based rotation is that
it does not take real state space at all.  It rotates through all the available
options on the same box.

> I implemented something similar somwhere, and this works quite fine and is very
> userfriendly IMO.

IMHO the term userfriendliness is a matter of personal taste.  I completely
agree that many people will find this solution completely user friendly.
However, just as many folks might not think so.  So my question here is that
can this be yet another thing that could be made configurable ??  I can help ou
with this as I have already done some work on it.

Regards,
Dawit A.