List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    RE: http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=93518510319562&w=2
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () CRAMER ! CO ! UK>
Date:       1999-08-27 17:08:16

> > Well, all this could be replaced by :
> >
> >  if ( strncmp( mime->getMimeType(), "image/", 6 ) == 0 )
> >
> > couldn't it ? That would solve all those problems at once ! ;)
>
> It could, but do we support all known image formats ?  What
> happens if we encounter some unknown/unsupported image format ?
If it's unknown, meaning it's not one of our mimetypes in mimetypes/image/,
then its mimetype won't be starting with "image". It will be
application/octet-stream
I think...
So if you look at the image mimetypes that have a kdelnk, you'll see
that most of them are very well known and supported (by Qt, FWIW).

The only ones that we might have problems with are fax-g3 and cgm.
Does anyone has one of those kind of images, in order to test the strncmp
solution ?
Anyway I think that if one has for instance a cgm file and if Qt can't
handle it,
then he will simply not have thumbnails for them, that's all...

> In this case the first explicit patch seems to be the way to go ...
> Should I apply this ?
I think we (i.e. you, I still don't have CVS access) should do the following
:

* add x-bmp.kdelnk (see
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=93518510319562&w=2)
* change the code to the strncmp line above
* if possible, test it with all image/* mimetypes

--
David Faure
faure@kde.org - KDE developer