On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, Simon Hausmann wrote: > On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, Waldo Bastian wrote: > > > On Fre, 20 Aug 1999, Michael Reiher wrote: > > > Hi, > > > > > > Simon and me had a discussion on IRC about Konqys view layout structure > > > and mainly itīs presentation to the user. Our goals were to make it as > > > flexible as possible, but also as easy to understand as possible. > > > What we came up so far: > > > > > > Menu options in the view menu: > > > "Split View Vertical" > > > "Split View Horizontal" > > > "Split Window Vertical" > > > "Split Window Horizontal" > > > "Remove View" > > > > > > Where as "Split View ..." splits the current view, and "Split Window > > > ..." splits the whole window. > > > > > > What do you think about this solution? Are this too many menu options? > > > Is it intuitive enough? > > > Comments, suggestions, critics welcome! > > > > I donīt think it adds real value to konqy. So in order to make the > > menus not too crowded I would keep it out. > > Well, what should we use then? > > Go back to David's original proposal with "Split View", "Add Row Below", > "Add Row Above" . I wouldn't mind about this, it's not as flexible as > Michael's proposal though. > > Or should we entirely switch to Michael's way? (which lacks flexibility > in another aspect) . > > Or another third approach? > > Drop this feature completely and provide 3-4 pre-configured and fixed > splitter-settings? I think we should try to fill the menu with commands related to Konqy's core functionality as much as possible. Splitting views, changing master-slave relations and other goodies is not really the core functionality of a brower. Perhaps if we can hide it somewhere under View->Setup views->xxx. The idea should be that a profile includes splitter settings and that it should be easy to select different profiles and that we have a useable set of profiles. That way the average user doesn't has to change his splitter settings manually ever. The geeks can then look for this "setup views" menu/dialog and configure their browser "really cool". Cheers, Waldo