List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Second part of Bug #1780
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () earthlink ! net>
Date:       1999-08-23 23:13:48

Greetings,

Second part of bug# 1780.

>Trained by other browsers, I often try to hit Tab to move the focus,
>but in KFM Tab seems to put the focus in the Location field, and then
>leave it there -- as far as I can tell there's no way to move the
>focus onto the actual content except with the mouse.  (I'm a keyboard
>person.)

CASUE(S):
The reason for this problem is the unix shell like local URL completion feature
built into the widget used for entering URLs (Location Box). The widget,
called KLined, uses the CTRL-S and TAB keys to complete names while CTRL-D is
used for rotating through all available entries under a given path.
Unfortunately, this breaks Qt's  ( as well as most modern toolkits ) TAB
based widget focus events.

RESOLUTION(S):
One way to resolve the issue is to make the URL completion feature optional but
on by default.  This would allow us to turn it off in kfmgui.  Another would be
to make it configurable so that is accepts the key combinations to be used for
URL completion. Of course the defaults will be the current one's.  Would any of
these be acceptable changes ???

DRAWBACK(S):
I believe fixing the problem whichever way would cause binary incompatibility??
to apps linked against libkdeui and use KLined.  KSpellCheck is one example,
Minicli is another.

WORKAROUND(S):
User can use SHIFT-TAB instead.

BTW, while working on this problem I also discovered another one.
The short cut key for Edit->Select [CTRL-S] collides with KLined as well.
Thus , pressing CTRL-S in the location box launches the select dialog box
instead of performing the completion.  Should I switch the short cut key for
Edit->Select to [CTRL-M] (M stands for mark) ??

Regards,
Dawit A.