List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Kio_file & Rollback
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () earthlink ! net>
Date:       1999-07-23 13:38:43

On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> Matt Koss wrote:
> >
> > I want to implement rollback in kio_file.
> > This means, that when the transfer is interrupted, slave will take some bytes
> > from the end of the file and put them away.
> > Later, when resumed, this will make sure that there is not any trailing garbage.
> >
> > But what's the easiest thing to achieve it ?
> >
> > Is there some simple method for cutting some data from the end of the local
> > file ?
>
> Yes. truncate() is your friend. Not sure if it is defined by POSIX.
> See your local man page.

truncate() is not defined by POSIX, at least not according to my Linux man
pages.  Also wouldn't you loose the whole file if you use truncate() ??  I
thought truncate simply changed the size to the specified length.  If so, I
don't think this is what Matt is looking for.  He just wants to save off some
bytes from the end of the original file, without damaging it ( this will become
the *.part file IIRC ) if transfer is interrupted.

Regards,
Dawit A.