List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: konqueror - multiple instances
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-07-19 8:40:08

Simon Hausmann wrote:
> So IMHO the only solution is to get rid of the fact that
> Konqueror registers at the naming service. Indeed I did some real
> bullshit when I implemented this functionality, since I should
> have known that
> Konqueror is not (yet?) really a persistent/stable process.
>
> Only really persistent and stable processes should register
> objects at KNaming, like KDesky!

Software is not stable. If we want to have a reliable system
we must fix the problem, not work around it. Programs who register
themselves at KNaming can and will crash. And when that happens
it shouldn't be the case that it takes the whole shebang with it.

The same for kded. If kded crashes it shouldn't take applications
with it. Sure, we have to make kded more stable but that only makes
the problem more bearable. The right way is to detect the crash
and handle it.

Unfortunately I have no idea how feasible this all is.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
The "gui" in "Penguin" is pronounced "K-D-E"