List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    konqueror - multiple instances
From:       Simon Hausmann <tronical () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-07-18 6:54:28

Hi,

Currently we try to keep Konqueror a mostly shared thing, meaning we try
to keep only one process running and re-use it as often as possible.

...this reminds me of kfm...

And this is the point why I'm not very happy with this, at least not in
conjunction with the current state of Konqueror.

It *is* possible that Konqueror crashes. See the qxembed trouble as
example. Or a bug in an embedded third-party view might crash it.

Currently a crash affects the whole system
- all konqueror windows disappear
- kfmclient can't connect to konqueror anymore if konqy wasn't able to
  unregister properly (from kded) -> even more trouble -> user needs to
  restart kded -> requires *all* apps which depend on kded to be restarted
  (for example kpanel)
- CORBA clients crash, because the process died

Bah, this is not really nice, isn't it? ;-)

So why not minimize the sharing mechanism a little bit?

We could keep *one* instance available for KActivator (no more KNaming
support) and we simply make kfmclient execute a new Konqueror process.

Opinions? David, Torben?

Greetings,
 Simon